Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Shortfest as opposed to Longfest which exists later

Shortfest Palm Springs. It exists as a transient thing. A passing whimsy to most who see the posters plastered to the windows of local businesses. Citizens passing by watch as these displays slowly decay, the paper rusting at its edges. The colors faded from the sun, dull and disappear. Eventually, after the tape has melted into the window and the fest has long since been completed they are taken down either by business owners cleaning up their windows or by the methodical pounding of the harsh desert wind.

I have stood up though! I have said enough is enough what is all this ruckus about. And so I leapt into the fray offering both my time and experience in order that I might view the festival from all angles. In the few volunteer shifts I have done, I have met a fair amount of interesting people. A lady from Korea whose film was selected to appear. A couple from Austraila, a woman from England, a pair from Ireland. It is truly a diverse network. The local flair is no less satisfying. Hopefully this web being woven is lucrative in both entertainment and opportunities.

Sitting quietly in the brilliant lobby of the Palm Springs Hilton I wait. Interesting folk passing by ; coming and going as quickly as the icey chill of the desert night. The door to the pool area with a broken sensor opens and closes intermittently for some unseen ghostly entities. A breeze of heat passes through each time it does. These short films liven up the normally lethargic elderly into hustle and bustle. If you get the chance. Go and see one of the 90 minutes thematic selections. I presume you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment